Do you want to make scented soy candles and don't know where to start? We've got you covered!
First of all, let's cover what you need to get started:
- One lbs. of soy wax
- Small pouring pitcher
- Candle containers/jars
- Eco Candle Wicks (Use this wicks chart to choose wicks)
- Warning labels
- Wicks stickers
- Fragrance oil
- Glass thermometer
- Stovetop or hotplate with medium-sized saucepot for boiling water
- Large spoon or stirring utensil
Now that you have all the tools you need, let's prepare your work area
You should cover the surface that you will be working on with wax paper, newspaper, or towels. Also, make sure to have some warm water and soap in case of spills.
You are now ready to master some basic techniques for candle making!
- Place your saucepot on your burner and fill it with 1/3 water.
- Empty your soy wax into the pouring pitcher, place your pouring pitcher in the saucepot and heat over low/medium heat to 185 F.
- Place a wick sticker on the bottom of your wick and center it inside the container.
Tip: Many fragrance oils won't mix properly into the wax until it's hot enough so It’s important for the wax to reach 185°F.
5. Once the wax reaches 185°F, pour 1oz bottle of fragrance oil into the melted wax and remove the pitcher from the heat.
Tip: Adding more than recommended will cause the candle to burn poorly.
Tip: Pouring the wax while it's still hot can cause the candles to shrink and pull away from the sides.
CONGRATULATIONS!You’ve just made your very first batch of soy wax candles! Now you have fantastic candles you can give to friends, family, or enjoy in your own home.
Share your art with us – tag #dablinestore on Instagram.